Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 13:08:16 -0500
John,
  I believe that most or all of your concerns can be addressed by using a
common primitives-based foundation ontology (PIFO).  The principle requires
that all ontologies that intend to interoperate use only a common set of
primitives with which they logically specify the meanings of all of their
local terms.  Then each local ontology (which imports as much as necessary
of the common PIFO) will generate only inferences that are logically
consistent with the inferences generated from the same data by other
applications, even if additional axioms are added locally.  Adding a
constraint to a PIFO class generates a logical subclass, and if the subclass
is used as if it were the parent class, this would be an outright error and
misuse of the PIFO; and when two separately developed ontology-based
applications want to interoperate, then to share data it is necessary for
them to share any local relevant axioms that are not in the common PIFO.
The translation mechanism will detect logical contradictions if they have
been inadvertently generated, and if no errors are detected it will be able
to translate the terms.    (01)

   There will still be issue to address, but the meanings of the basic terms
in the PIFO will be preserved in any interoperability scenario, because
contradictions can be detected when local definitions are shared that
(erroneously) change definitions.
   Among the problems that would still arise are, for example:
   (1) the absence of a subclass in one ontology that exists in another
ontology.  A query from the more detailed ontology for instances of such a
subclass can only return instances of the common parent class, which will be
ambiguous to the more detailed ontology.  There needs to be a mechanism to
make it clear that such 'answers' do not have the same detail as may be
desired, and the local systems need to decide how to handle such ambiguity.
This problem is always potentially present for separately developed
ontologies (or languages) and cannot be overcome by any automatic mechanism.
   (2) Differing logical specifications of the same intended meaning in
different local ontologies.  To the translation mechanism, these will be
different types (or relations).  If the difference is resolvable as
subtypes, then returning the common parent may be enough for the querying
system.  If the difference is more complicated, then there may be no easy
way to compare possible matches.  But it may turn out that algorithms can be
developed for specific types of ambiguity to help systems get the most from
each others' data.  This problem will, I expect, be mitigated over time by
development of larger mid-level and domain-specific public ontologies based
on the common PIFO, so that ontology elements satisfactory to multiple
parties can be identified and used consistently across multiple
applications, reducing the chance of creating local definitions with the
same intended meaning that are different.    (02)

   Although a PIFO does not *guarantee* accurate automatic interoperability,
if the above problems exist, it does provide, I believe that *best possible*
solution to the interoperability problem.    (03)

   How many concepts must the PIFO represent?  I expect, from my work with
COSMO, that fewer than 10,000 elements will be needed, though to
conveniently and perspicuously support basic natural language (for
controlled natural-language input and query) the number actually used may be
a little larger than the minimum.  Learning how to use such an ontology will
likely require as much effort as learning to speak the basics of a foreign
language - which people do routinely when they have the motivation.  The
good news is that, in any given organization, only *one* person will need to
be bilingual in the PIFO and the local terminology, and that person can map
the local databases to the PIFO.  In this way, there are no constraints on
what terms or programs a local group uses to solve their problems, but they
will need to be able to translate their local terms (or at least the ones
they want to share) to some common PIFO, *if* they want to interoperate
accurately.    (04)

   Over time, as additional applications are mapped to the PIFO, the number
of primitives may increase.  This is to be expected, but the frequency is
likely to decrease over time to some asymptotic number.  It has been
remarked that there may be a very large number of nuances of meaning
attached to certain words in common use, but those nuances can themselves be
represented by the use of the primitives in the PIFO; an infinite number of
meanings can be generated by combinations of the basic concepts (including,
for example, the real numbers).    (05)

Pat    (06)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA Inc.