Re: [ontolog-forum] Offlist re: Self Interest Ontology: Emotionsinanimal

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 17:46:34 -0800
Dear John,    (01)

I think I just did propose ontology specific
information in my last post.  I stated in informal
English the design of a logical kernel which could
address the issue of how to create an ontology
from a database of empirical information.  That is
essentially what the self interest ontology is all
about, IMHO.  The FOL can come later, but the
system has to be formulated before we jump down
into the dirt.      (02)

You once mentioned that people consistently leap
from design to implementation.  I suggest that you
have exhibited that consistent leap in making this
objection.  So let me explain it to you in my own
view.      (03)

Doug and I found the information on brain regions
associated with emotions related to the subject.
We discussed it because it is what the thread is
about, not about jumping immediately into specific
FOL.      (04)

But models are needed, as Ken pointed out, that
describe actions, objects, situations and
relationships.  I suggested the IDEF0 method,
which we know will result in FOL when all the
turtles have landed.      (05)

Ed then deepened my surface account of the
behaviors I had described as examples (Cromwell,
Lincoln, others I don't recall).      (06)

As we discussed it, you, Ken, Doug and Ed all
added detail to the original descriptions for
models of behavior by the Charles' and other
examples like those which Isaiah Berlin had
described then.      (07)

We converged on the email I sent a few moments ago
when I was able to use that information to deepen
the description of how to proceed in building an
English Logic Kernel, which is my personal mission
statement, and which motivates me to keep updating
this thread.      (08)

The last time an objection came from the logic
focused ontologists, it seemed to be uncommonly
felt, and I think this time is not different.  You
may remember that I offered to pull the thread to
another list then.  But list members spoke up on
continuing the thread.  Please reconsider your
position, and I suggest you fight the anxiety long
enough to get back to enjoying this thread.      (09)

Your contributions have been very valuable.
Thanks for the contributions which have been
significant.  Please consider contributing some
more patience with the list members who are more
interested in empirical issues.    (010)

-Rich    (011)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper
EnglishLogicKernel.com