Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology: Emotions in animals

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 14:28:24 -0800
Dear Leo and John,    (01)

I remember studying Maslow's hierarchy back in
undergrad days (about two centuries ago or so it
seems).  Since then, it seems to have become
viewed by psychologists more as a list than as a
true hierarchy, but the bit about becoming
"generative" still seems to be a the top of the
list in terms of becoming sane and maximally
conscious.      (02)

I have focused on the Self Interest Ontology group
more directly in trying to find common interests
among list members of ways to clearly represent
self interest, and I do agree that Maslow's list
is a great source of concepts that are related to
self interest as the Observer becomes more and
more sane, eliminating unconscious actions
gradually through her lifetime.      (03)

Do you have a way to describe Maslow's List into
formal recommendations, ideally in some
approximation to FOL, or in mechanisms that can be
organized to support the ultimate FOL expressions
needed for -uctions?      (04)

I see a good place to represent ML's line items as
Controls and Mechanisms in the IDEF0 models so we
can easily discuss, view and compare them on this
list if we agree that such representations make
sense in the progress toward generating the Self
Interest Ontology.      (05)

For example, a Control on generativity would
somehow rank, or enumerate, the stages of
generativity.  Then the activity which it Controls
could be described in FOL, interpreted or
simulated with a case statement, or otherwise used
to organize the way in which each value of
generativity would influence the interpretation of
the activity and all its ICOMs.      (06)

But a Mechanism of generativity might also
represent the virtue as a quantifiable resource,
or a shared lockable resource (if the
generativitized Mechanism can only do one activity
at a time for some reason).      (07)

Is there any reason to view ML value properties as
Inputs (I don't think ML values are usually
consumed by the activities, but there will be a
few (such as a mortal lifetime activity).  Also,
psychological analysis might be modeled as
producing Outputs that are measures of the ML
value set.  So the kind of model that an analyst
has in mind would determine the precise way to
represent ML values - it all depends on the
modeling Observer's goals for the model.      (08)

Thanks for your suggestion!
-RIch    (09)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper