Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology: Emotions in animals

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 00:40:18 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, January 3, 2012 18:08, Rich Cooper said:
> ...  The North
> invaded the South in the American civil war to
> enforce their economic interests.    (01)

Actually, the North invaded the South only in response to a military attack
by the South on the Northern military (in Charleston harbor).  The self-
interest of the North in having its military protected was violated.
Sure, there were economic interests on both sides, but the proximate cause
for the invasion was the Northern public's reaction to an attack on their
nation's military.  The war had begun, and they pressured the government
to end it quickly by invading Virginia to capture the Confederate capital
in Richmond.    (02)

The attackers of Ft. Sumter must have perceived the attack to be in their
short-term self interest.  And it is quite possible that some other event
could have started hostilities.  But i find it hard to blame a responsive
military action on the policies that led to the attack by the other side.    (03)

Military action once war starts takes on a logic of its own.  It often
looses its connection with the policies that caused the tensions which
resulted in the initial hostilities.    (04)

-- doug f    (05)

> JMHO,
>
> -Rich
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Rich Cooper
>
> EnglishLogicKernel.com
>
> Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com
>
> 9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (07)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.