Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology: Emotions in animals

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 11:01:24 -0800

Dear Doug,

You gave an excellent general rule as an observation which I think has a great deal of merit.  You wrote:

In general terms, when there is a strong disagreement between two parties, they can interact at a number of different levels.  The interaction can continue at a given level semi-stably for an indefinite period.  But if one side escalates, the other is liable to escalate as well until some new balance of interaction is reached.

The resort to local violence in a situation where the attacker has overwhelming force may seem tempting, as it will almost certainly result increased local advantage.  But that destabilizes the much larger situation such that it is not reasonable to assume that the there will be no wider effect.

I believe it is a doctrine of military thinking to always attack with overwhelming force, or at least with more force and more weaponry than the defense has.  But the danger of the defense escalating beyond the offense’s capabilities is clearly a good statement of the general rule you offered.

Can we put those kinds of thoughts into FOL to satisfy the logicists cravings, so that we all pull together in this thread?  If you could offer this rule and fact set as axioms and –uctions, there might be some progress in this direction.

In particular, can we model the alternatives open to each side as both IDEF0 statements somewhat more detailed than just the English version you offered, and then relate the structure of the IDEF0 model so represented in terms of axioms and –uctions that use the terminal symbols of IDEF0 to represent your concept, i.e., ICOMs, activities, contexts and decompositions?

That could be a very useful example to build upon.

Thanks,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper