Re: [ontolog-forum] RDF vs. EAR

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 18:28:29 -0500
On 12/5/11 6:05 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> On 12/5/2011 12:10 PM, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:
>> many of us who have dealt with information modeling for these many
>> long years have come to realize that the notion of a "path through
>> the semantic network" is a critical idea in understanding relationships
>> among information elements, particularly among competing viewpoints.
> I very strongly agree with that point, and I also agree
> with the following point:
>
>> EAR does not of itself have such a notion.
> But I totally disagree with the following:
>
>> In RDF this is a well-understood concept -- a trace through the graph.
> When you're dealing with huge graphs, you need to use a very clean
> notation *and* implementation.  RDF began as Tim B-L's notion of
> the Giant Global Graph.  As Guha said, he and many others (including
> Pat Hayes and Ora Lassila) wanted to use LISP notation (A B C) for
> representing triples.  That would be fairly clean.
>
> But they yielded to political pressure to use XML, which is a fine
> notation for annotating documents.  But when you try to mix the
> graph representation with document annotation, pointer following,
> and a host of other issues, the graph is lost in the mush.  When
> you encode that mush in a bloated syntax, you get a disaster.
>
> Designing pretty notations that disguise that bloat cannot make
> it more efficient.  It's like "putting lipstick on a pig".
>
> The original idea of the GGG was good.  But the rapid uptake
> of schema.org by webmasters is the final blow that exposes the
> weakness of RDF/XML as a viable tool for processing the GGG.
>
> John

John,    (01)

RDF/XML dominance of GGG and Linked Data died the day DBpedia and the
Linked Open Data (LOD) projects came to be. The first action item was
the introduction of HTML based object/entity descriptors at a time when
RDFa and Microdata didn't exist. The fundamental goal was unshackling
the triple from the bloat and human incomprehension challenges of RDF/XML.    (02)

RDF/XML's hold over Linked and the GGG is over.    (03)

What we have to try to accept is the fact that RDF is a model distinct
from RDF/XML (and other syntaxes) as part of the entire narrative. I
know the model claim is awkward and sorta driven by politics and
marketing (Pat isn't a culprit here). That said, let's accept the RDF
model's existence for sake of navigating to a final resolution re. this
thorny and repetitive matter.    (04)

The RDF model adds URIs to EAV/SPO based triples. It doesn't deal with
the Name / Address ambiguity that arises as a result of URI abstraction
misunderstanding by many. That specific matter is addressed explicitly
by Linked Data. Thus, as long as RDF doesn't also lay claim to being the
sole option for Linked Data (and Internet scale GGG) its narrative
challenges start to untangle (IMHO).    (05)

Regards,    (07)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software