Re: [ontolog-forum] SOA organised with RDF - Use Case

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bart Gajderowicz <bgajdero@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 02:08:37 -0400
Mathew,
I agree that this is usually the path people take.    (01)

Ken,
Thank you for providing these points.
Initially, the goal of the Semantic Web was to make the information on
the web machine-readable. Annotating text with definitions in
sub-ontologies plays a major role in that, and Linked Data is suppose
to link all these definitions together. One can certainly view each
definition (or definitions within a single system) as a sub-ontology,
and by linking them you get one broader upper ontology. The
definitions and links evolve over time, with various degree of version
control and documentation. Keeping all this working is difficult, but
the list you provided covers the pitfalls and solutions well.    (02)

Regarding Frank's post on the W3C forum, the conversation continued in
the last few days. See the continued thread here, starting with
Michael Uschold's comment:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2011Oct/0000.html    (03)

I also asked Frank directly.    (04)

My impression is that two key factors played a role.    (05)

1) It was simply easier to build a custom SOA ontology than use a
standard one and customize it to fit the existing process.    (06)

2) This transition was to be done over several years (it took 4), and
in carefully conducted increments. This is why flexibility was
particularly important.    (07)

I think that if someone was starting from scratch, it would be
beneficial to use an existing SOA ontology, at least as a starting
point. The ability to develop it over time and adopt it to evolving
needs would be a key requirement. One thing that would be lost is the
consistency with the original, unless there was a specific need to
keep it consistent.    (08)

In this case, what would encourage someone to keep the consistency?    (09)

Perhaps instead of requiring someone to adopt the whole ontology,
allow them to just use a sub-ontology that fits their specific need.
To address one of Ken's point, a description should only be as concise
as absolutely needed. Too strict of a definition may discourage
someone from adopting it, opting for creating a new one that fits
their use case better.    (010)

A "general" version of a definition may also be an option. This
"general" definition would map to different definitions defined by
context.    (011)

Using Michael Uschold's examples from the W3C thread here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2011Oct/0023.html
[quote]
If you need alternative interpretations then create them.  If you don't know
whether a hospital is:
1. the building that health care is provided in
2. the legal organization that owns the building
3. the legal entity that has a number of beds registered for a specific kind
of medical services    (012)

Then create three different things with three different names and define
them accurately.
[end quote]    (013)

Having these definitions to choose from in standard ontology would be
great, but someone has to define them first. Otherwise a mechanism for
easily extending the original for others to use would be required.    (014)

Bart Gajderowicz, MSc.
Ryerson University
http://www.scs.ryerson.ca/~bgajdero    (016)