Re: [ontolog-forum] SOA organised with RDF - Use Case

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bart Gajderowicz <bgajdero@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 13:43:36 -0400
Duane, Jeff, Matthew,
Thank you for your responses and for clarifying the issue.    (01)

Clearly there are standards that allow for dynamically altering the
ontologies. I'm wondering what the issues for Frank's use-case were
then? Perhaps it was easier to build the models from scratch rather
than using a set of standards. Especially since they were building
something that would not be made available to the outside world.
Unless part of the requirements, it can be a daunting task to abide by
standards. I think Jeff's point (3) adresses this.    (02)

I will see if I can investigate this use-case further.    (03)

On 30 September 2011 03:56, Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Bart,
>
> His real objection is to a fixed ontology rather than a standard one, he
> needs to be able to extend the ontology and correct it as time passes, and
> his idea of a standard ontology is that you cannot do that. This of course
> is not true. For example, ISO 15926 is designed to be extensible, with a
> small fixed core that supports that extensibility, and the standards process
> allows even that to be updated (though it hasn't been yet in 8 years).
>
> Regards
>
> Matthew West
> Information  Junction
> Tel: +44 1489 880185
> Mobile: +44 750 3385279
> Skype: dr.matthew.west
> matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
> http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
>
> This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
> and Wales No. 6632177.
> Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
> Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.
>

>> I thought this post from Frank Carvalho was interesting as an
>> application of ontologies to keep dynamic data and metadata organized.
>>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2011Sep/0167.html
>>
>> It's only RDF, but I find it interesting that a standard SOA ontology
>> is described as a problem. Instead each "type of metainformation has
>> its own ontology".
>>
>> Are standard/upper ontologies only practical for more expressive
>> ontology languages?
>>
>> Is this a unique domain-ontology that simply wouldn't benefit from a
>> standard/upper ontology?
>>
>> --
>> Bart Gajderowicz, MSc.
>> Ryerson University