Re: [ontolog-forum] SOA organised with RDF - Use Case

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 12:18:18 -0400
On 10/8/2011 10:37 AM, Cory Casanave wrote:
> The use cases for SoaML include:
> * Describing a collaboration among parties to effect some common goal
>manifested through providing and using services
> * Describing the contract of interaction relating to providing and consuming
>service
> * Describing the detailed choreography of information and asset exchange
>required to request and deliver a service
> * Describing technology interfaces used to automate services at a technology
>independent level
> * Mapping of the above to various technology frameworks to help automate
>services and collaborative processes    (01)

Thanks.  The tags used in SoaML would specify a list of concepts that
could be defined by a formal ontology.    (02)

That answers the first of my four questions:    (03)

> 1. Does anyone have such a list for SOA?
>
> 2. If the things on that list were formally defined, how would those
>    definitions be used?
>
> 3. Would those definitions improve SOA systems?
>
> 4. How?    (04)

The White Paper you cited shows how those tags could be related
to UML diagrams that specify an ontology for a customer's domain:    (05)

    http://www.omg.org/news/whitepapers/EnterpriseSoaML.pdf    (06)

That report uses UML as the ontology language.  Since UML diagrams
have been specified in Common Logic, they would qualify as a version
of logic.  And as I've said many times, UML is a much more readable
ontology language than many others we have seen.    (07)

But this raises a question about the role of the SoaML tags. I'll
admit that those tags (and other similar tags) can be valuable for
many purposes.  And I would agree that stating a formal definition
of those tags in some version of logic would also be valuable.    (08)

But the questions I would ask are "Where is the ontology?"
and "What kind of ontology is it?"    (09)

 From the Acme example in your report, it seems that the SoaML tags
provide useful categories for specifying that part of a more general
business ontology that happens to use SOA.  The Acme company would
require a more general ontology for their business (which could also
be expressed in UML diagrams).  The SoaML tags can define a supplement
to that ontology for those aspects of the business that use SOA.    (010)