Re: [ontolog-forum] the data mining craze

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Stephen Young <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 20:12:38 +1100

Pavithra, I think you must have misspelled "Einstein".   http://search.wik.me/search.htm?words=Albert+Einstein  returns 20+ concepts named for Albert Einstein - and the topmost result is the man himself.  And that list is something you CANNOT get from Google.

Clicking the top result http://wik.me/lfn2 ("Albert Einstein") also gives you something you can't get from Google - a self-organised presentation of what wik.me "knows" about Einstein.  Google knows *nothing* about Einstein but where to find pages that contain the string "Albert Einstein".

Structured data is always going to permit greater functionality than keyword indexing.  If it didn't, you and I wouldn't have a job ;-)

But of course Google is more robust - it would have detected your spelling mistake and given you the most-likely valid alternative.  So it should be with 2000 engineers and over a decade of refinement.

wik.me can also only return results based on the data it has mapped, which means it's a valid alternative to Google for only a minority of searches.  Our estimates suggest that with all organisations, products and services in, we should give a much better experience for around 65% of all searches currently made against Google.  That's next.

Steve