Re: [ontolog-forum] IBM Watson's Final Jeopardy error "explanation"

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Pool <mikepool@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:06:12 -0500

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Leo,

I don't question any of the statements that John has made.

The problem is equating those achievements, which are considerable, with
intelligence.

Despite the achievement with Watson, it could not cross the street
unassisted.

But neither can Stephen Hawking nor can a blind person.   Something needn't have all the functionality of a typical human being to have intelligence.

Not very "intelligent" at all.

Why can't we applaud the considerable technical achievement as a tool?

Like a back-hoe or locomotive? But just a tool, nothing more.

But being able to outperform human beings in a task that requires a great deal of linguistic sophistication and skill in answer formation is much different than being a useful mechanism for digging a hole in the ground

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

<deleted>