Re: [ontolog-forum] IBM Watson's Final Jeopardy error "explanation"

To: Simon Spero <ses@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:05:24 -0500
Simon,    (01)

Thanks for finding that reference:    (02)

> "We were after the C++ programmers. We managed to drag
> a lot of them about halfway to Lisp."
> - Guy Steele, co-author of the Java spec (quoted in:
> http://www.paulgraham.com/icad.html )    (03)

That's an excellent article about LISP and why LISP
is still relevant today.  I highly recommend it.    (04)

But I would add that Prolog is also very relevant today.
For what we are doing at VivoMind, Prolog is our major
language for complex algorithms.    (05)

There are some highly used features, which we translate
to C for better performance -- but only *after* we're
absolutely sure that we need them.    (06)

And by the way, after many years of examining the issues,
McCarthy admitted that if he were writing AI programs
today, he would choose Prolog over LISP.    (07)