Re: [ontolog-forum] IBM Watson's Final Jeopardy error "explanation"

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:34:40 -0500
Patrick,    (01)

I don't have the slightest interest in debating whether or not
computers are or can be intelligent.  That issue was a hot topic
half a century ago, but I settled it to my own satisfaction in
my 1984 book:    (02)

  1. For the present, the answer is absolutely not.    (03)

  2. Some people in the 1960s (like Minsky and others) were
     saying that the HAL 9000 was a "conservative" estimate
     of machine intelligence in 2001.  But I was extremely
     skeptical about that, even though (or perhaps because)
     I had taken Minsky's AI course in 1968.    (04)

  3. As for the future, I said that perhaps someday in the
     distant future they might overtake humans, but that
     is not likely for a long, long time.    (05)

That is still my answer today.  I don't want to talk about
it any further because it's just an opinion.  And I don't
want to hear anybody else's opinion, because they don't
know anything more than I do (and most likely less).    (06)

> Peter's complaint is not irrelevant.
>
> Your dismissal of Peter's complaint leaves the "artificial
> intelligence" camp in charge of the term.    (07)

It leaves it where it belongs:  OFF TOPIC.    (08)