Re: [ontolog-forum] IBM Watson's Final Jeopardy error "explanation"

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 20:26:12 -0500
John    (01)

On 2/17/2011 4:23 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> On 2/17/2011 3:55 PM, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>> I don't question any of the statements that John has made.
>>
>> The problem is equating those achievements, which are
>> considerable, with intelligence.
> That's what I said in my first line:  A quibble about the
> name AI is as pointless as complaining about the word 'psyche'
> in psychology.  The real issue is to look at the accomplishments.
>    (02)

Err, no, what you were trying to do in your first line is to put the
naming issue firmly in the hand of the AI community.    (03)

Sorry, too old a trick to allow to pass without comment.    (04)

Looking at "accomplishments," the fine folks at IBM designed a black box
system (to outsiders) that answers questions on a game show.    (05)

Gee, why am I not impressed?    (06)

Had the team published its NLP processing algorithms, which were no
doubt innovative, that would raise all boats.    (07)

But, all we have at this point is the equivalent of the original
Mechanical Turk.    (08)

Hope you are having a great day!    (09)

Patrick    (010)

> John

Patrick Durusau
patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, ISO/IEC 13250-1, 13250-5 (Topic Maps)    (012)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau    (013)