Re: [ontolog-forum] The history computing volume 6

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:41:12 -0500
Ed,    (01)

I mostly agree.  I just want to comment on one point:    (02)

> There was a lot of very good work in the 1950s thru 1970s that
> was as good as that which got the recognition.    (03)

In any field, the early work tends to explore a much wider range
of ideas than the later work.  Just look at the huge number of
different machine architectures and instruction sets that were
invented in the 1950s and '60s.  But now there are only a handful
that have any significant usage -- and not necessarily the best.    (04)

Today, Intel's X86 (and successors) dominate the world.  But
Intel itself tried to make it obsolete at least twice (once
in the 1980s and again in the 1990s).  Both times, market
forces killed the innovations.    (05)

That is why I suggest looking for new ideas in three kinds
of places:  the latest research that very few people have
noticed, the dusty tomes that most people have forgotten,
and work in remote fields and out of the way niches.    (06)

The mainstream is fine for the mass market, but it's very
hard to compete with the companies that already dominate it.
Look for new ideas in places that everybody else ignores.    (07)