Re: [ontolog-forum] The history computing volume 6

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Gian Piero Zarri <gian-piero.zarri@xxxxxxxx>
From: Gian Piero Zarri <zarri@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 13:35:59 +0100
Ed and John,    (01)

Ed Barkmeyer a écrit :

> I think Bell Labs SNOBOL (vI) appeared in late 1962.  It was a
> semi-procedural rule-based language for string processing, whose
> execution model was based on a complex paraform string matching
> algorithm.  (Later versions of the SNOBOL approach showed up in AWK and
> other tools around 1970.)  And of course, Klaus Wirth's journey thru
> experimental programming languages began in 1963-4.

Note that SNOBOL was, at least partly, a spin-off of Victor Yngve's
COMIT, the first (I think) computer language practically used for string
processing and computational linguistics-like applications. I have (very
satisfactorily) used COMIT for several applications in the mid-60 at the
Center for Cybernetics and Linguistic Applications of the University of
Milan, including a small generative grammar program for Italian inspired
from Yngve's "Little Train" work.    (02)

Regards,    (03)

Gian Piero ZARRI    (04)