Re: [ontolog-forum] Watson's Wed. win by simple look-up questions

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:20:14 -0800 (PST)
Dr. Sowa,

>I participated in that conference in November 2010.
>Following are my slides:

 >  http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/bionlp.pdf

Your slides talk about perception or perceiving an object and communication and other activities.  ( slide 14),

But where does the knowledge about how that object can be used ( not motor related)? How does brain processes that is the question that is relevant to AI or simulating the computers to the same

For example, a two year old child sees a fork and a spoon on the table, and knows that it is used for eating.   Automatically children pick up the fork or spoon and take the food and put it in the mouth  ( the child may poke the eyes with it too.. but that is besides the point).   But where does the knowledge about the fact that fork is used for feeding and how that knowledge gets processed automatically is important.  How such knowledge gets accumulated over period of time in the brain, how brain processes the information almost involuntary  is interesting!  Isn't  it that what AI,  knowledge management and knowledge processing should cover ?     ( I understand that those slides were addressing certain limitations of the brain functioning.. )

Pavithra