Re: [ontolog-forum] History of Machine Translation?

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:43:13 -0500
On 2/21/2011 9:49 AM, Mike Bennett wrote:
> I could not help wondering if [Google] had used some statistical
> method on that line, since there was nothing in the name of my
> hotel which resembled Hyatt.    (01)

Google has huge volumes of data, which can be very conveniently
used with statistical methods.    (02)

But there are some cases where the frequency-based statistics
will give popular companies some "free advertising".  Their
algorithms occasionally drag in some proper names that have
a high statistical association with the phrases that are
being translated.    (03)

That is an example where multiple algorithms, some statistical
and some semantic, can complement and check one another.    (04)