Re: [ontolog-forum] Modeling a money transferring scenario

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 13:05:19 -0800
Hi Yefim,    (01)

Do you have history databases (preferably large ones) with the data
available for examination?  You can detect relationships among the columns
by partitioning the column data values into groups with similarities in
syntax and/or semantics.  One way to do this is just to sort the column
values, then group the ones that are identical.  That reduces the variety by
the incidence factor.  Then find groups with identical signatures, using
various templates to generalize or specialize each template from each group
of values.      (02)

Iterate until the classes and relationships are known better.  THEN develop
an ontology that covers at LEAST those explicit examples, handling each one
in a responsive way.      (03)

Take a look at
 www.Englishlogickernel.com/patent-7-209-923-B1.PDF
(copy and paste into your browser URL slot)    (04)

The specification describes a way to discover the existing classes and
relationships among the transactions you know are really being performed.
At least that way your ontology will start with conformance to actual needs,
and you can add lots of ornaments as you wish.  You can theorize about the
data, experiment to see if your theories are valid, classify more deeply
based on the column value differences within each class, and observe the way
data was entered by the very people who will enter data into your new
ontology.      (05)

To discover classes and relationships among patent documents as an example,
use the free downloadable Elk for Patents program suite.      (06)

HTH,
-Rich    (07)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper