Re: [ontolog-forum] Interpreting OWL

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 00:35:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, October 18, 2010 0:20, Rich Cooper said:    (01)

> A DAG is the normal, prototypical situation of databases then.    (02)

It depends what the database is about, whether it expresses a DAG or
not.  A database of vendors and customers could certainly have cycles.    (03)

Note that a graph of a single relation, whether tree, forest, DAG, or
cyclic, does not imply that the relation is transitive.    (04)

> That
> constraint means that there is an ordering of the <relation>s on one axis
> and the <person/object/thing>s on another which would look like a
> topographic map of a square of land.    (05)

Even in the case of a DAG, there is only necessarily a partial ordering.    (06)

> Specifically, the ordering of
> <relation>s by identifier associated with the temporal arrival sequence of    (07)

The partial ordering would depend on the data, not on the temporal arrival
sequence.    (08)

> the relation references in a <text/ontology/dictionary/lexicon> in
> ascending
> order by arrival, mapped against an ordering of <person/object/thing>s in
> ascending order of their own arrival.    (09)

Note that a <person/object/thing> can arrive multiple times for many
relations.    (010)

> This is the structure of a single
> pass analysis from beginning to end of the model.
>
> Is that intuition correct?    (011)

It seems not.    (012)

-- doug foxvog    (013)

> I.e., a topographically level or sloping model
> of two <property/attribute/column>s in the value plane is ALWAYS
> REALIZABLE
> given the axes are ordered by arrival sequence in ascending order from the
> start (origin) of the <text/ontology/dictionary/lexicon> being scanned in
> one pass?
>
> Queriously,
> -Rich
>
> Sincerely,
> Rich Cooper
> EnglishLogicKernel.com
> Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com
> 9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (015)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.