Re: [ontolog-forum] do not trust quantifiers

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ronald Stamper <stamper.measur@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 00:20:10 +0100
Dear Ferenc, Rich and other colleagues,

In the ontology (metaphysical flavour) we have adopted – a version of actualism – everything has an actual concrete, physical existence in the present.  Things commonly regarded as abstractions exist as social norms shared by the members of a community.  Signs employed in speech acts play a central role in creating abstractions and also in providing our knowledge of everything not in the here-and-now.

This form of actualism leads to the powerful concept of ontological dependency, which leads in turn to ontological dependency schemas that have an empirically based canonical Semantic Normal Form.  This SNF, when used as the basis for a computer system to support the activities of the community governed by the relevant social norms, ensures a remarkably high degree of stability, which hugely reduces the costs of systems maintenance and support and increases the reusability of IS designs.

My grotty and neglected little website (www.rstamper.co.uk) still contains only two papers but they should be enough to give you the basic ideas.

If anyone is interested enough to challenge me with a case study, I’ll happily use it to elaborate my explanation.

The SNF permits the building of ontologies (semantic web flavour) by a process of gradual accretion of the independent contributions from a large community of systems builders.  The canonical property ensures that the fragments will fit together provided that they actually deal with the same or sufficiently related, underlying problem domains.

My experience of this work convinces me that any semantic web flavoured ontology should stand on the foundations of an explicitly stated metaphysically flavoured ontology.

Ronald Stamper