Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Enterprise Architecture

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rick Murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 22:16:28 -0400
Ravi & All:    (01)

You had asked for some thoughts on Linked Open Data. First, thanks for
asking. Second, if Peter Patel-Schneider's story of the Semantic Web is
a Cautionary Tale,    (02)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-661464686397234947#    (03)

then LOD may well be the Fairy Story. Joking aside, if you have a meme,
it will spread. Apparently this one is. There's a lot more to be said,
but here's a message I recently sent to another forum.     (04)

--    (05)

David & All:    (06)

It seems there's a conversation trying to start itself on what LOD
actually is. Ouch ...    (07)

While taking the risk of suggesting something more than that on which
we've already gained agreement (an lod design principle), I wanted to
share a few observations relevant to future directions for LOD.    (08)

1. I had about 60 days to examine LOD full time in 2009 early in the
development of recovery.gov at which time I differentiated the roles
publisher and linker. Differentiating these roles proved useful in
better analyzing LOD outcomes. For example, assuming decentralize
publishing by ARRA recipients at least a "minimal intervention" would be
required to effect a predetermined outcome by linkers. How else would,
let's say 50 states, make sufficiently consistent choices separately
that would be later linked? I think this needs to be further examined.    (09)

As an aside, there may be a video available soon from the recent datagov
mashathon where I demonstrate the Data Typing by Usage pattern from
Working Ontologist to "link" a recipient ontology and an xbrl ontology
of an SEC filer through subproperty subsumption. The inference that a
certain SEC Filer is an ARRA Recipient was the salient point.    (010)

2. My second observation from the recovery.gov work is the need to
develop an approach to "edge specifications." An edge specification is
an assembly from preexisting vocabularies and possibly new elements into
a whole. The idea is to identify a specification development approach
for LOD that's different from a "core specification" where already known
terms are redefined. At the edge they are reused.    (011)

There's a brief mention in footnote 10 here ...    (012)

http://www.talis.com/nodalities/pdf/nodalities_issue9.pdf    (013)

FWIW - For those who haven't seen it, here's the original use case from
for Open Government: Linked Open Data, published just a few days after
the US election on December 2, 2008 .    (014)

http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/Use_Case_8_-_Linked_Open_Government    (015)

BTW - has anyone tried to "link" DbPedia to, let's say, Metaweb on
Chemical element?    (016)

--
Rick    (017)