Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Enterprise Architecture - Example of Bed vs

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 16:18:47 -0700 (PDT)
Dr. Berg_Cross and David

After all semantics is about reasoning.

Why do they use the concept of Bed for housing in prison cell  and in Hospital and in Hostels etc  instead of the verbiage cell / room housing etc..

The relationship between a "Bed" and person in Prisons and Hospitals and Hostels are one to one.   Which is used to prove the occupancy.

In Prison, a cell can have multiple inmates ( 0 to many relationships, zero meaning no inmates, may meaning many inmates  on many beds)
In Hospital, each ward or room can have zero to many in patients.
In Hostels each room can have 0 to many hostelites..

How do you used that information for proof existence of the patient and accountability of their presence?

How ever, each prison bed can house only one inmate.  ( bunk beds are considered two beds)
Each bed in a hospital can have only one patient.
Each bed in hostel room can have only one hostelite.

Since each " BED " can house only person, it is used as a proof of existence of a inmate, inpatient or hostelite.    If they are discharged from the bed and prison or hostel, or hospital status of that person changes too.   That person is no  more inmate, no more patient no more hostelite in that particular prison, hospital or hostel.

Such explicit example and Ontology  helps to establish existence of that person in that environment  and provides accurate accountability of the status.

Finally it all adds up to building systems that keep accurate track of inmates, or patients or hostelites.

[ Additiional example of existential theory"
In a  British boarding school  in India,  in addition to beds, a dining chair or spot was assigned too.   So if the dining spot was not  used during meal time, the care taker of student  would know that person was missing during meal time and was interrogated for well being.   lol!  Since each person had a dining table spot, no two spots could be filled by the same person at the same time.  That is how she kept track all the students returning back for each meal and before early dinner time, if one does not return back by dinner time it was cane time  lol!  ].

Again it all adds up to proof of existence and accountability!  Such rules makes it  easy to model for computer programming...  ( for duration,  billing etc etc..)

Such accountability is very important for hospitals and prison.

Regards.
Pavithra Kenjige