Re: [ontolog-forum] Looking for a razor

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: RK Stamper <stamper.measur@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:04:18 +0200
Dear Sean,    (01)

I may have what you are looking for.  I began work on it a long time
ago and the search led in some strange directions.  At last, with many
students assisting, we have a solution that has proven most effective
in the analysis of organisations and the design of computer-based
systems to support them.    (02)

It called for a new ontology in the metaphysical sense, it is a
version of actualism and it leads to the important concept of
ontological dependency.  Using this we develop ontological dependency
schemas that must obey very strict rules that force the analysts to
arrive at a canonical solution.  That solution is shared across
communities and mostly across languages - one of our systems runs in
Arabic and English and would suit the characters in your example.    (03)

It is all quite different from the work on ontologies of the OWL kind
that seem to be the overwhelming concern on Ontolog.  However, I'm
sure the two would fit together with great benefit.  I managed to talk
very briefly about this with Ian Horrocks who agreed that his work
largely concerns (in his words) how one lot of squiggles is equivalent
to another lot of squiggles whereas our concern centres on the link
between the squiggles and the real world things they stand for.    (04)

Asking what these real world things might be took us into the
metaphysical field of ontology with strange, disconcerting but highly
effective results.    (05)

I am guilty of not having published an adequate presentation of all
the ideas but I'm completing a book on this treatment of semantics and
hope to make it available to colleagues this autumn.  (A student is
kindly working on a website for that purpose.)    (06)

Meanwhile I can point to only a couple of papers on a site of my own
amateur construction:
www.rstamper.co.uk    (07)

The book will contain many detailed cases.  Let me know if you'd like
to follow up the small amount on those two papers.  I'll do my best
but I'm in very rural France with an unimaginably narrow band of
internet connection.    (08)

Regards,    (09)

Ronald Stamper    (010)