Re: [ontolog-forum] Looking for a razor

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:35:37 +0100
I would definitely recommend anyone to read Ronald's work. My own work has been very different but I have also been struck by the difference between what's developed for the Semantic Web, and the more old-fashioned but vital industrial concern of modeling the business reality in some formal way as a necessary component of top down, model driven development of technical solutions to business problems.

Talking to someone the other day about this, it occurred to me that many of the applications of OWL are themselves development exercises - not a bad thing at all, but developing some technical artifact for some design brief, is a different thing to the design brief itself i.e. the conceptual model. OWL can be used for either (and has different limitations for each), but sometimes I think people talk at cross purposes since an OWL file is invariably referred to as an "ontology" whether it's a set of squiggles about other squiggles, as Ian Horrocks puts it, or squiggles about the real world directly i.e. a business conceptual model of the business world as the business sees it, this being a necessary precursor to /any/ design, including the design of the first sort of "ontology". I guess it comes down to some explicit statement of the model theory that applies to a given OWL (or other) resource.

Since the two are not so very far apart, I would agree that it must be possible to do something to relate these to each other. Maybe it's something as simple as a transformation from an OWL-Full model of the world as business domain experts have defined it, to a decidable / CL model of those same terms? Or maybe, like all good design, it requires expert thinking to make the latter artifact correct. Existing approaches seem to focus on capturing business knowledge in a way that can fit within the required formalisms (e.g. using controlled natural language), but I'm not sure that's the only viable approach.

First I think there needs to be some realization of the existence of these two kinds of ontolo-thing, and some formalization of the relationship between these. This I suspect is where your more detailed work on modeling reality will have a lot to contribute that many of us have not yet thought of. I am intrigued to find out what are the strange and sometimes disconcerting results, since I thought an OWL-based, set theoretical semantics was sufficient to represent real world concepts and relationships or at least to disambiguate between these. Pushing beyond that to Quillian-style semantic network semantics would be intriguing but I suspect that's not what you are talking about here.

Taking it a step further, if there are multiple ways of grounding the semantics of terms, it must be possible to find a way of formalizing those different ways, within some single conceptual framework?

Mike

RK Stamper wrote:
Dear Sean,

I may have what you are looking for.  I began work on it a long time
ago and the search led in some strange directions.  At last, with many
students assisting, we have a solution that has proven most effective
in the analysis of organisations and the design of computer-based
systems to support them.

It called for a new ontology in the metaphysical sense, it is a
version of actualism and it leads to the important concept of
ontological dependency.  Using this we develop ontological dependency
schemas that must obey very strict rules that force the analysts to
arrive at a canonical solution.  That solution is shared across
communities and mostly across languages - one of our systems runs in
Arabic and English and would suit the characters in your example.

It is all quite different from the work on ontologies of the OWL kind
that seem to be the overwhelming concern on Ontolog.  However, I'm
sure the two would fit together with great benefit.  I managed to talk
very briefly about this with Ian Horrocks who agreed that his work
largely concerns (in his words) how one lot of squiggles is equivalent
to another lot of squiggles whereas our concern centres on the link
between the squiggles and the real world things they stand for.

Asking what these real world things might be took us into the
metaphysical field of ontology with strange, disconcerting but highly
effective results.

I am guilty of not having published an adequate presentation of all
the ideas but I'm completing a book on this treatment of semantics and
hope to make it available to colleagues this autumn.  (A student is
kindly working on a website for that purpose.)

Meanwhile I can point to only a couple of papers on a site of my own
amateur construction:
www.rstamper.co.uk

The book will contain many detailed cases.  Let me know if you'd like
to follow up the small amount on those two papers.  I'll do my best
but I'm in very rural France with an unimaginably narrow band of
internet connection.

Regards,

Ronald Stamper