Re: [ontolog-forum] UML Meta-Model and Notation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:26:08 -0500
Randall and Ian,    (01)

I have some agreements, disagreements, and qualifications to your
recent notes in this thread.  And I'd also like to include a note
below, which I contributed to a discussion on an OMG email list.    (02)

RS> UML is a language for modeling systems. The diagrammatic portion,
 > as popular as it is, is really not the essence of UML.    (03)

IB> I'm afraid I've got to disagree with you. When you look at how
 > UML is actually *used* all you can really say about it is that
 > it's a notation. The diagrams *are* the essence of UML because UML
 > is used for so many different purposes (e.g. data modelling,
 > software modelling, system modelling, military architecture,
 > services, ontologies, etc.) there is little in the way of common
 > semantic across the various uses of the language. For particular
 > uses of it (e.g. UPMS, MODAF M3, SysML, etc.), there may be
 > formal semantics, and even some ontological commitments (e.g.
 > SysML and MODAF M3 commit to physical entities in the real world),
 > but for UML in general, you'd be struggling to find a common thread.    (04)

I agree with Ian on this point.  Any notation can be used in an open-
ended number of ways, and it's essential to distinguish the notation
from the way it is being used.  That is one of the main themes of the
note below.    (05)

RS> Diagrammatic languages and other visualization schemes appeal to
 > a very large majority of humans 'cause of our outsized visual cortex,
 > but ultimately visual languages very limiting. They scale very poorly,
 > which is a large part of why visual programming languages have never
 > gotten any traction beyond a few limited settings.    (06)

I agree that human factors are an important aspect of any notation,
graphic or linear, starting with face painting, rock carving, on up.
But there are many other contributing factors:    (07)

  1. Technology.  How well does the notation lend itself to varying
     methods for reading, writing, and transmission?  Consider the
     development of cuneiform with clay tablets, Chinese characters
     with different media and writing tools, European fonts with the
     printing press, and recent computer displays and I/O devices.    (08)

  2. Algorithms.  Consider the enormous simplification of human
     computation with Hindu-Arabic numerals instead of Roman numerals.
     But Roman numerals are still preferred for movie copyrights
     because they can better disguise the age by flashing MCMXCIV
     instead of 1994.    (09)

  3. Structure.  Some notations have a simpler mapping to and from
     the subject matter, including the relations among the elements.
     Tables, for example, are a hybrid graphic-linear notation that
     use the rows and columns to highlight certain relationships.
     The structure can also have a major effect on the choice of
     algorithms -- spreadsheets, for example.    (010)

Point #3 about structure is key to the human factors of the various
UML diagrams and to the reason why there are so many of them.
Each diagram highlights one or more kinds of relations among the
elements, but there are too many different kinds of relations for
any single diagram type to highlight all of them equally well.    (011)

Randall's point that graphic notations "scale very poorly" depends
on what is being scaled.  If the cost of paper is a major concern,
then linear notations have been far better than graphic notations
for centuries.  With computer displays, the cost is less important,
but there are still human factors of organizing huge graphs (but
organizing huge amounts of linear notations also creates problems).    (012)

Some notations, such as LISP and XML, were deliberately designed
around the algorithms for processing them.  Petri nets reflect
both the structure of the processes and the algorithms for
computing them.  Frege's Begriffsschrift and Peirce's existential
graphs were designed to support different proof procedures.
See Section 3 of the following article on that point:    (013)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/cg/cg_hbook.pdf    (014)

That article also shows the use of different notations for conceptual
graphs:  The linear CGIF takes the same amount of space on the printed
page (or computer storage) as CLIF.  The graphical display form has
a direct mapping to and from CGIF, but has some advantages in human
factors for graphs of reasonable size.  And the pure graph form has
important computational advantages for certain algorithms.  See    (015)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/pursue.pdf    (016)

John    (017)