Re: [ontolog-forum] MVC

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:24:58 -0500

Duane Nickull wrote:
> According to the OMG, UML is “A specification defining a graphical language
>for visualizing, specifying, constructing, and documenting the artifacts of
>distributed object systems. “
>
> There are multiple methodologies and supplemental specifications that use UML
>to aid people modeling.
>
> Reference:
>http://www.omg.org/technology/documents/modeling_spec_catalog.htm#UML
>       (01)

All true, but Duane apparently read "visualizing" and stopped reading.
He described UML as "a 2 dimensional syntax/notation/convention for
representing models or data" .  Randy is right.  The critical idea in
UML is "specifying ... the artifacts".  UML is a set of languages for
capturing models.  The primary purpose of UML tools is to support
modeling and the development of artifacts from the models.  That support
is a mixture of diagram construction and detailed element specification,
per concepts in the UML standard.  (I often find it useful to use the
tool features that suppress some specifications on the diagrams, so as
to make the diagram comprehensible.)    (02)

There are indeed multiple methodologies for creating models that use UML
to capture the results.  Those are not standards; they are the IP of
consultants and authors who make a part of their living with them.    (03)

I am not sure what "supplemental specifications" Duane has in mind.
There are UML "profiles" for specializing the basic UML modeling
concepts to specific types of artifacts, such as SOAML (for
Service-Oriented Architecture models), and there is an extension to UML
for systems engineering of complex electro-mechanical and software
systems -- SysML.    (04)

-Ed    (05)

P.S. 10 lines is hard for me.    (06)

An over-ambitious young poet,
said "my poems don't scan, and I know it."
When asked why it was
he confessed "It's because
throwing more and more into the last line is so tempting that whenever
I think of something, instead of saving it for another poem, I throw it."
        - ? (via Bill Burkett)    (07)

> Duane (in under 10 lines)
> PS – GO TEAM CANADA!!!!!
>
> On 2/24/10 4:51 PM, "Randall R Schulz" <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday February 24 2010, Duane Nickull wrote:
>
>> When I say "UML" I refer to a 2 dimensional
>> syntax/notation/convention for representing models or data.
>>

> UML is a language for modeling systems. The diagrammatic portion,
> as popular as it is, is really not the essence of UML.
>
> Diagrammatic languages and other visualization schemes appeal to a very
> large majority of humans 'cause of our outsized visual cortex, but
> ultimately visual languages very limiting. They scale very poorly,
> which is a large part of why visual programming languages have never
> gotten any traction beyond a few limited settings.
>

>> Duane
>>

> Randall Schulz

> ---
> Adobe LiveCycle Enterprise Architecture -
>http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/
> My TV Show - http://tv.adobe.com/show/duanes-world/
> My Blog – http://technoracle.blogspot.com/
> My Band – http://22ndcenturyofficial.com/
> Twitter – http://twitter.com/duanechaos
>
>       (08)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (09)

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (010)