Re: [ontolog-forum] Event Ontology

To: "Dan Brickley" <danbri@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: semantic-web@xxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:04:22 +0300
Dan wrote:
I'm quite ok with the Allen & Fergusson quote in
http://motools.sourceforge.net/event/event.html#intro ... with the
> aside that I wouldn't bother saying events don't exist
We have be more concerned with such an ontological alchemy, easily stating
real things as unreal, and unreal entities as the real.
For an eventless world is a world without change, and a world without change
is a world without time, with all the ensuing consequences (of imortality
and eternity :).
No event, no change; no change, no time; no time, no human history, memory
and experience, i.e., no both human life and mental life.
Both an eventless world of objects, and an objectless world of events are
poor constructs. It's like constructing an eventless web of objects, and an
objectless web of events. When somebody doubts if events exists, if there
are any events, he actually doubts if anything in the world happens at all:
the Olympics, festivities, sporting events, his birth, dates and marriage,
and possible death.
Re. literature on Events. It is vast,
http://books.google.com/books?q=Events. I recommend to start from an
anthology on Event, studying its ontology, semantic, logics and NL
descriptions, very useful to read for all the semwebers,
http://books.google.com/books?id=PZ7WAAAAMAAJ&q=Events&dq=Events. The book
consists of five Parts: Events in Semantics; The Nature of Events; Identity
and Individuation; Cause, Space, and Time; Events and Processes.
An integrated ontological account of change (and event) is given in the
Reality book,
http://books.google.com/books?id=mmVjIylBWlEC&pg=PT156&dq=reality+and+universal+ontology#v=onepage&q=&f=false
Have also to mention, there is an emerging multi-billion business, called
Event Management Industry: dealing with all sorts of international social
events, festivals, ceremonies, sporting events, mass media events, summit
meeting of all sorts and kinds.
Apropos, there are many festivals, arts, film, literary, music, religious,
science, but an Internet/Web Festival :).
Thanks
Azamat