Re: [ontolog-forum] Conjunction and Disjunction

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: ra33@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 06:17:32 +1200 (NZST)

> "The" could refer to each of seventeen water fountains, one per floor,
> arranged around the central utility shaft of an office building in Manhattan
> near the flower shop.    (01)

"Going to *the* bathroom" can also mean you went out back and fertilized the
lemon tree.
(i.e., not only is "the" often used generically as "a", but also metaphorical).    (02)

(Waffing on) If we want machines to understand meanings used by humans, it has
to make
the same distinctions commonly made by humans with what looks like the very same
syntactic form(s) (or risk inanitity). Thus, when you say your significant
other "went
to the store" you may have no idea what store it was (i.e., we heavily
'overload' our
expressions, leaving context and other conventions to disambiguate).
  Rob