Re: [ontolog-forum] Conjunction and Disjunction

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 18:39:32 -0400
John,    (01)

Ok, and could you say something about temporality?
1. Paul goes to the water fountain.
2. Wanda goes to the water fountain.    (02)

Should I ignore time? Sentences in conversation occur in
order for good reasons, to indicate sequence or time.
Aristotle points out that we all come into logic with pre-existent
knowledge (PeK). He seems to indicate that without PeK that
a predicate is not possible.    (03)

Can pre-existant knowledge to be ignored in creating an ontology?
Are there temporal and atemporal ontologies? Are there PeK and
non-PeK ontologies? And, can we really separate the logic from
the ontology?    (04)

  "All instruction given or received by way of argument
   proceeds from pre-existent knowledge."    (05)

   "The pre-existent knowledge required is of two kinds. In some
    cases admission of the fact must be assumed, in others
    comprehension of the meaning of the term used, and sometimes
    both assumptions are essential. Thus, we assume that every
    predicate can be either truly affirmed or truly denied of any
    subject...".
                                        Logic, Book 1    (06)

-John Bottoms
  FirstStar