Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Systems

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 22:23:20 -0700

John Sowa wrote:

<snip/>

You answered your question in the opening statement above.

You saw both of them going to the water fountain.  So your

normal operator is 'and'.  You would only use 'or' if you

weren't sure which one went -- i.e., it was an inference,

not an observation.

John

Woah!  Why does that make it a conjunct?  I see it as two disjuncts:

      1.    Paul goes to the water fountain;

      2.    Wanda goes to the water fountain;

Maybe I think "have I paid the water bill?" as a deduction, but I don't think that Paul and Wanda have anything else going, unless you know something I don't, but these appear to be two entirely distinct acts.  By the notion of dividing the entire universe into conjunctionable parts, it seems to me that here are two such conjunctionable parts.  That makes them a disjuncts of two conjuncts:

      (goes Paul (fountain water))

      (goes Wanda (fountain water))

The first, (goes Paul (fountain water)), is a conjunct of two parts - the CAR 'goes and the CDR - 'list('Paul '(fountain water)).

The second, (goes Wanda (fountain water)), is a second, distinct conjunct of two parts as well - the CAR 'goes and the CDR 'list('Wanda '(fountain water)).

So there is some kind of nonjunct going on here.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com