Re: [ontolog-forum] Set of Semantic Primitives (was Guo's blah blah blah

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 21:49:55 -0400
Just one point in response to Ian:    (01)

> On May 30, 2009, at 3:28 PM, Ian Bailey wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > . . .
>
> > So, I think the idea of one set of primitives to rule them all is
> > impractical at least, and probably impossible. Based just on the
> > range of opinion on ontolog alone, you can bloody well forget it.    (02)

The audience for an FO containing all the primitives that are needed for
semantic interoperability includes all of the database developers who now
are building their own idiosyncratic conceptual models and could just as
easily (more easily) use a well-established and well-tested set of primitive
conceptual elements to specify the meanings of their domain data elements.
This potential audience is vastly larger than the ontolog forum, but needs
publicly testable examples of use before they will pay any attention.    (03)

I am suggesting that we actually investigate the issue with a proper test
rather than simply assume it is impossible and congratulate each other on
our ignorance.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.