Re: [ontolog-forum] Guo's word senses and Foundational Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 14:19:33 +0300
JB: "I also wonder about the work being done at Renaissance Technology with
the use of the Chern-Simons algorithms used to extract patterns
 from stream data. although I don't understand it, it seems to work and
Renaissance made $2.5B last year running a hedge fund with this approach.
Would it have a use in developing ontologies from graph weight data?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chern-Simons_theory";    (01)

John,    (02)

That's really interesting. An academic geometer, James Simon, first had
coauthored a geometrical theory to be used for a quantum gravity string
theory, then left the academia to establish a hedge fund, Renaissance
Technologies Corporation, managing now up to $ 20 b, being 80 years old, and
recently titled as "the smartest billionaire." Statistics is still ruling
the world.    (03)

Re. the issue; there is an emerging meta-disciplinary field dubbed
Econophysics, applying physical concepts, theories and methods to solve
problems in economics, statistical physics extended to statistical finance,
or quantum physics to quantum economics,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_economy. The theory mentioned fall
under a spatial topological QFT to identify invariants (topological
properties as cardinality, connectedness, compactness, separation, metrics).
In its substance, the algorithm is about correlations (correlativity,
correlation statistics, correlation statistics and correlators), ie, the
strength and direction of a relationship among two and more things (or two
or more variables or two and more random variables). In Quantum Field theory
the concept of correlation functions received the maximal generalization, a
possible reason of its application for searching invariant features and
invariable patterns in financial stream data.    (04)

Used to describe stochastic processes, the correlation functions are widely
used to describe interrelationships among things (events, points). Thus it
comes under the Relation Ontology (RO) and all its possible relation
management applications. Given there are broadly two types of correlations,
acausal correlations and causal correlations, the RO assumes that all true
correlations imply causation. So if statistics defines quantitative
relationships (correlation coefficients) among random variables like as
gross national product, education, wealth, poverty, criminality, corruption,
etc), the RO is concerned with causal co-relationships among entities
(changes, processes, actions, activities, events, and occurrences) formally
represented as the class variables.    (05)

Not Statistics but Ontology should rule the world.    (06)

Azamat Abdoullaev
http://www.standardontology.org
 iboss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    (07)