Re: [ontolog-forum] Guo's word senses and Foundational Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 17:03:17 -0400
There was also C.K.Ogden's Basic English, published in 1933
that was composed of 850 words. There was also a version that
included an additional 100 words. His system also permitted the
use of technical vocabularies per domain. The Bible has been
translated to Basic English.    (01)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English    (02)

Which raises an interesting point about how Ogden arrived at his
list of words. He argued that the list must be usable for everyday
work and life. Essentially, he was referring to the quantization
problem. You won't necessarily get the word "birthday" if you only
look at what people are doing for a few days. Is there a role for
cluster analysis or quantization in the development of ontologies?    (03)

I also wonder about the work being done at Renaissance Technology
with the use of the Chern-Simons algorithms used to extract patterns
from stream data. although I don't understand it, it seems to work
and Renaissance made $2.5B last year running a hedge fund with this
approach. Would it have a use in developing ontologies from
graph weight data?    (04)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chern-Simons_theory    (05)

Have a great weekend all. Put some more shrimps on the barbie!!    (06)

-John Bottoms
  First Star
  Concord, MA
  T: 978-505-9878    (07)