Re: [ontolog-forum] Guo's word senses and Foundational Ontologies

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 07:49:06 -0400
Matthew,
  Thanks again for the insights and informative history.  Just a short reply on
one point:    (01)

[MW] >
. So you should factor the following into your
> (optimistic) planning.
>
> 1. Relatively few people will adopt before it is a standard.
> 2. It will take a year for early adopters to recognise its existence
> and evaluate what you have done.
> 3. It will take another 1-2 years for practical applications to appear
> that really use it in a proper commercial way (I'm not talking about
> pilot or non-commercial projects here).

  That's about what I expect, except for the first line.  It may well be true
that industrial and government bodies will hesitate to use an FO if it does not
have the blessing of a formal standards body, but the research community may
well adopt it de facto if it helps them collaborate on tough problems that are
too difficult to solve in individual groups.  That is what has happened with
WordNet for the Natural Language community, even though they increasingly
recognize and are trying to cure its shortcomings for that purpose.    (02)

Pat C    (03)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416