Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology Project Organization:

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 16:09:14 -0400
Mike Bennett wrote:

> I've been thinking about this. I wasn't clear if everyone meant the
> same
> thing by FO initially or not, but it's good to see some convergence of
> thinking. Here are my thoughts:
>
> Whether you call it a framework on which to hang terms in different
> ontologies, or a foundation ontology or whatever, I think there are
> some
> top layers that are fundamental enough to try and relate to, though
> there may be issues with some of these as well (noted below).
>
> Starting with John's KR lattice top layers, I would say the following
> are useful or invaluable, along with some additional stuff:
>
> Independent/Relative/Mediating
> Concrete/Abstract
> Continuant/Occurrent
>    (01)

Mike, I haven't found partitions along those lines to be useful.  There are
disjoint categories such as "Event" and "Object" and "AttributeValue" to
which I can give some necessary conditions.  But in trying to represent the
basic elements of thought, which are reflected in the basic language, there
are too many ways of viewing things to make it practical to try to squeeze
all those views into a few top partitions.  Roles, for example, can cut
across several disjoint categories.    (02)

If you have some specific logical properties that you think should be
assigned to those top-level categories, send me a note and I will be happy
to see how they can be related to the COSMO elements.    (03)

There is a lot of work already done in the OpenCyc, SUMO, DOLCE, BFO,
ISO15926, and other ontologies that can serve as a starting point if one
wants to redo the top-level categories.  Seeing how these can be related to
each other is quite educational.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416