Re: [ontolog-forum] Digital Ontology and digital ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 15:14:17 +0300
John,    (01)

I also believe that SW is doing valuable works. Also i like that he started
as a theoretical physicist, natural philosopher.    (02)

But there are noted physicists, who could see the things i mentioned in my
previous, like as S Weinberg, : "Wolfram himself is a lapsed elementary
particle physicist, and I suppose he can't resist trying to apply his
experience with digital computer programs to the laws of nature. This has
led him to the view (also considered in a 1981 article by Richard Feynman)
that nature is discrete rather than continuous. He suggests that space
consists of a network of isolated points, like cells in a cellular
automaton, and that even time flows in discrete steps. Following an idea of
Edward Fredkin, he concludes that the universe itself would then be an
automaton, like a giant computer. It's possible, but I can't see any
motivation for these speculations, except that this is the sort of system
that Wolfram and others have become used to in their work on computers. So
might a carpenter, looking at the moon, suppose that it is made of wood.
Weinberg [24 October 2002, "Is the Universe a Computer?" The New York Review
of Books].    (03)

The message of my message was not to analyze the content of the book, which
we need both to read before any discussions of its merits and demerits, and
which for me looks too thick.    (04)

The point was to pay heed to its ontological fundamentals and the principal
distinctions between (do) and (DO). The (do), building formal computable
ontological models of meanings by the agency of computing languages and
systems, and the (DO), studying the hypothetical digital computational
nature of the world.    (05)

The prolix volume mentioned was just a good instigation to view the
similarities and differences of two types of ontology.  Say, how real world
things might be reified as computing programs, if the programs are models of
the world, etc. Or, how two extreme models could be consolidated as one
realistic ontology allowing two complementary positions, etc.    (06)

Azamat    (07)