Re: [ontolog-forum] Requirements of computer language semantics

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 10:29:12 -0700
John:

On 3/21/09 9:50 AM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Google, for example, became a multibillion-dollar company very
quickly, despite the fact that they have no semantics for the terms
they search for.

This is sort of true but not entirely.  Having studied Google since day 1, I have found that they do offer rudimentary disambiguation where terms may have a plurality of meanings.  These are often grouped by upper layers of classifications.  They do retain several ontologists on their staff.  Try a search for washington.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=washington&btnG=Search

Note that the first result page real estate is divided among several types of “washington” (DC, Uni, George, state, etc.).  This overrides their normal dynamic algorithms that track what users click and elevate those pages in ranking.  Someone has modified the results to ensure a balanced cross section of Washington samples.

I am working on trying to decipher some of the codes to find out more about how it works.

Duane