Re: [ontolog-forum] Requirements of computer language semantics

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:23:29 -0500
On Mar 18, 2009, at 9:55 AM, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
> Christopher Spottiswoode:
>
> John Sowa has addressed these issues in number of emails. His latest
> email (3/17/2009 12:27 PM) suggests an alternative method of formal
> definition --    (01)

More exactly, John was talking about a method of providing a formal
*semantics* for a language, which presupposes that the syntax of the
language must already be clearly defined.    (02)

> translation to an existing language, such as IKL or CL, which has
> already been formally defined.    (03)

That is, an existing language whose *semantics* has already been
formally defined. Done right this is a theoretically effective way to
provide a semantics for a given language.  But, unless one's source
language L1 is very simple or very similar to the target language L2,
defining such a translation is far from trivial and, frankly, it only
makes sense to do so if there is an independent reason to map L1 into
L2, as it forces users of L1 to go work through the translation to
figure out its semantics.  Other things being equal, it makes a great
deal more sense to provide a semantics for L1 directly.    (04)

Chris Menzel    (05)