Re: [ontolog-forum] Requirements of computer language semantics

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:57:47 -0500
On Mar 18, 2009, at 7:51 PM, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
> I have not yet been convinced that any such "extra" interpretation
> is necessary.  I still have the impression that formal model theory
> is an academic exercise which has little to do with meaning in the
> real world.    (01)

Come on, Dick.  Some strong objections have been raised to the effect
that mKR as it stands is missing a critical foundational component.  I
hope I'm wrong, but it *looks* as if, in the absence of any legitimate
technical response to these objections, you are trying to divert
attention away from them with the cheap and hoary smear of academic
researchers as self-absorbed elitists who are out of touch with the
issues that real knowledge engineers in the "real world" care about.
That sort of tactic didn't work for Sarah Palin and it won't work
here. ;-)    (02)

I'd suggest you take the time to *study* model theory before
announcing your impressions of it.  mKR (not to mention your own
credibility) can only benefit from the effort.    (03)

Chris Menzel    (04)