Re: [ontolog-forum] Wolfram Alpha

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 13:40:19 -0400
One of the questions I have with any direct question-answering system
(another is the MIT START system: http://start.csail.mit.edu/)  is what
range of questions can they interpret properly.  The easy path to
question-answering is to have a large number of template questions for
common queries: "how high is ***"; "when was *** born"; "who invented ***";
"what is the population of ***"; etc.  With a reasonable number of such
templates, perhaps the majority of questions can be **interpreted**
properly, and then the task is to build the KB to include the data.  This
can actually be quite useful, but it is, as the article mentions, far from
trying to mimic the capability of human intelligence.    (01)

My own interests are in Natural Language Understanding, which I believe
requires something close to the full range of human information-processing
(as contrasted with sensing and motor function) capability - at least at the
level of a five or six-year old.  Question-answering systems that depend on
templates and cannot extract information automatically from text can be very
useful and interesting, but probably have little to add to what is already
known about NLU.    (02)

The other point I have been advancing is that to get to human-level NLU it
seems now likely to require the full power of a large scientific community
working within a common paradigm of meaning (basic ontology) and language
processing, using open-source data and programs.  That is why I am
especially anxious to see some community of reasonable size begin to create
such a paradigm, so that the task does not grind along slowly for another
fifty years in projects of inadequate size that can learn little from each
other because their approaches are too diverse.    (03)

May looks like it could be an interesting month.  That is when the CALO
project is supposed to be putting some of their results on the Web.  After 5
years and 200+ million dollars, I hope it was worth it.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416