Re: [ontolog-forum] RDF & RDFS (was... Is there something I missed?)

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
From: "Ian Bailey" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 14:24:27 -0000
Phew! Thanks Matthew - very nicely explained !  I was beginning to hope
someone would come in and save me before I mired myself ever deeper in this
debate. I would go a bit further though. I would argue you can have the same
(e.g. higher-order) ontology and represent it in two different RDFS
projections. The first would only use first-order constructs, and the second
would use higher-order constructs. It's still the same ontology, I've just
chosen not to use some bits of RDFS that would make the ontology scare the
level five wizards. In ISO15926, the classes, and indeedtype-instance
relationships, happens to be represented in EXPRESS, and instantiated as a
line in a P21 file (or a as muddle of XML in a P28 file).     (01)

Pat made a good point though - yes it would be downright silly to
deliberately confuse the use of RDFS - e.g. using rdf:Type to represent
motherOf would be daft. However, I would like to be able to use something
other than rdf:type to relate types and instances if I want to present a
higher-order ontology to the flat-worlders.    (02)

PS - I'm not sure about where this idea of a mental model of an ontology
came from. I never mentioned it, and I certainly don't have an ontology in
my head. Of course the ontology has to be represented in some way - CL,
RDFS, OWL, UML, EXPRESS, arse-barcodes, who cares ?  It is the content of
the ontology that is important - it should define its own ontic categories
and its own criteria for identification. In 15926, BORO and IDEAS, the
criteria for identity is extent.     (03)