Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 23:08:58 -0400
Rob,
   In a study of the words used in the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary
English, Guo found that of the 2100 words used in the defining vocabulary,
with which Longman defines all the words in its dictionary, only 1400 words
representing 3200 senses were required to define (recursively) all of the
words in the dictionary.  Many of those are types rather than relations, so
fewer than half of these would be a reasonable estimate for the number of
"primitive" relations in the English language.  More complex relations can
be constructed as combinations of the primitives.    (01)

As I have mentioned, I am working to prepare an ontology (COSMO) that
represents the words in the Longman defining vocabulary, and will test
whether the representations of those words will serve as "conceptual
primitives" in a logical format.  I hope to be able to answer your question
experimentally, for a formal language that has mappings to English.  This
will take over a year.    (02)

Pat    (03)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.