Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rob Freeman" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:44:43 +0800
John,    (01)

It doesn't bother me that in your system the "encoding and the
semantic distance measure support many different kinds of
applications." What I like is that you base your analysis on the
retrieval of examples, encoded as graphs or anything else. That
enables you to make as many distinctions as you have examples.    (02)

This relates to the complexity point I have been trying to make all
the way through this thread.    (03)

My argument has been that for many systems there are more ways of
generalizing examples than there are examples. This is a game changing
assumption. Up to now it has always been assumed that there will be
fewer generalizations than examples (rules, classes, etc.) At worst
that you need to make one generalization per example (analogy.) If it
is possible to make more generalizations than examples, the game
changes completely. No one set of generalizations will suffice.    (04)

The only way to model that would be to base analysis on sets of examples.    (05)

I understand once you have retrieved graphs your processing varies,
but have you tried generating analyses based on sets of graphs
retrieved?    (06)

-Rob    (07)