Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rob Freeman" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 10:54:48 +0800
John,    (01)

As usual I think you've misconstrued a few points: I don't "reject
logic", I don't think people "process vectors in their heads".    (02)

All the same "knowledge soup" is a useful enough term. As far as I
know you are unique among ontologists for having identified it. I'm
happy to leave you to argue its significance.    (03)

Good luck promoting your commercial analogy engine. As a form of
example-based reasoning analogy it is one response to the problem. It
misses the key complexity issue so will never be a complete solution,
but it has the quality of making decisions relative and so is a good
first step.    (04)

You could say analogy enables you to make as many unique distinctions
as you have examples. You generalize one example to another. That is
better than systems based on fewer classes than examples. But does not
capture the power of generalization to make _more_ unique distinctions
than you have examples.    (05)

(Of course you could base your analogies on sets of examples, and so
get something like my "vector" approach. I don't know if you have done
that yet.)    (06)

Pat: I think your ears are still closed. You are not simply not
addressing the complexity issue I refer to repeatedly.    (07)

-Rob    (08)