Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:08:15 -0500
On Sep 13, 2008, at 9:29 AM, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
John

Your remarks about modal logic remind me of some features
of mKR which I tend to forget about, because I don't use them
very often.

mKR vocabulary includes "can".  Compare
    I do walk done;
    I can walk done;

mKR contexts include what people say.  Compare
    John has happy;
    Dick do say od {John has happy;} done;
The latter statement creates a new context say_Dick
which contains the embedded statement.

I'm having a hard time understanding the point mKR.  The "do" and "done" constructs are delimiters that might be necessary for parsing, but you claim that your mKR reconstructions are paraphrases of English and that using them "enhances intelligence".  Why do you think that casting sentences in a natural language that we learned at our mother's knee into a rigid canonical form (a rather awkward one at that -- "John has happy"??) enhances intelligence?  What additional clarity do you think is brought to "I walk" by the far clunkier "I do walk done"?  On the face of it, the claim is bizarre.

-chris