Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:40:55 -0400
Dick and Antoinette,    (01)

That's a good first step:    (02)

RM> My largest test of contexts for say, think, etc. was the
 > translation of a Reuters news story.
 >
 >    http://mKRmKE.org/knowledge/rhm/examples/English/nurse.cu    (03)

That addresses point #2 in my suggested guidelines:    (04)

JFS> 1. Every proposed feature must have a formally defined or at least
>     definable mapping to one or more versions of logic, of which
>     GOFOL (Good Old Fashions First Order Logic) has a place of honor.
>
>  2. Every proposed feature must have a paraphrase in English or
>     other natural language that is relatively obvious (i.e., it does
>     not require a lengthy or contorted multi-step translation).
>
>  3. There must be at least one example of a useful application for
>     which this feature is simpler, clearer, or more efficient than
>     the alternatives.
>
>  4. The feature must be sufficiently readable and memorable that
>     people will remember how to read it and use it without looking
>     it up in a manual or help facility whenever they want to use it.    (05)

For #3, the term "useful" is debatable, since it's not clear what
kind of use this application would have.    (06)

RM> FYI, the features of mKR have been evaluated by me --
 > in various applications, over the last dozen years.    (07)

That is good, but the most difficult transition is to go from the
developer to one additional user who isn't paid by the developer.    (08)

AA> OK, it's appreciated, but why not just say those 4 things in plain
 > English like you just did if you want the points in your signature.    (09)

There is a second opinion from someone other than the developer.    (010)

The ultimate criterion for any proposed notation is whether it
can support important applications better than existing languages.
For example, PHP came from nowhere (actually from Rasmus Lerdorf,
who wanted a notation for his Personal Home Page).  PHP had zero
support from the W3C or any other organization, but today it has
far more users than many notations that were developed by major
organizations.  (In 2006, PHP was found on about 35% of web sites.
At the same time, RDFS and OWL were found on less than 1%.)    (011)

My suggestion is to find a good application.    (012)