Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rick Murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 07:34:01 -0400
Pat Hayes wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2008, at 7:31 PM, Rick Murphy wrote:
>
>> Many thanks for the pointers, Pat. This excellent discussion has
>> inspired me read these and track down the source material !
>>
>> BTW - do you share any of your bookmarks on del.icio.us ?
>
> Um...no, I havnt ever quite managed to understand the point of
> del.icio.us. Why would anyone be interested in anyone else's bookmarks?
> It seems like collecting other people's waste paper.    (01)

I was skeptical at first, but now I'm a fan.    (02)

I would be interested in your bookmarks because your depth of knowledge
provides insights into highly specialized subjects within your domain.
For example, your bookmarks might list Semantical Considerations on
Modal Logic, where my Google search on Kripke turned up Naming and
Necessity.    (03)

Through Faceboook, I watch what Danny Weitzner bookmarks because he
typically bookmarks useful legal, social, political and cultural pieces.
I get a quick look at what's useful to him and broaden my exposure.    (04)

> Im sure my
> bookmarks are so idiosyncratic that nobody else could possibly make
> sense of them.    (05)

Understood. Not only the idiosyncratic choice of what is bookmarked, but
the implications of folksonomic classification schemes.    (06)

> BTW, none of those pointers are bookmarks. I got them, as I get almost
> all my web links, from Google and a bit of quick surfing/searching. In
> my experience its almost always quicker to use the Web dynamically,
> going for what you want when you want it, then it is to search through
> bookmark files.    (07)

Understood. I typically bookmark low page rank subjects. I'm currently
learning Haskell and there are a lot of gems out there that don't show
up in the first five pages of results.    (08)

A couple of other scenarios: a) stumbling on something when looking for
something else, b) not having enough time to read something and coming
back later, and c) the social value of sharing in conversation, and
saying "look in my delicious bookmarks."    (09)

Anyway, I hope you and others here would give this some thought. If we
look out on a long time horizon, I believe there's significant value in
preserving the knowledge of this forum's members. Bookmarks preserve
that knowledge in a complementary way to preserving the debate.    (010)

And exposing the entire forum's knowledge would be very powerful.    (011)