Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:58:42 -0500

On Sep 17, 2008, at 2:46 AM, Rob Freeman wrote:    (01)

> Ha! I assume you're using the irony deliberately here, Pat.    (02)

Not at all.    (03)

> That's
> quite funny. An ontologist, one arguing against idiosyncratic
> categories    (04)

? Have I ever done that?    (05)

> , who can't imagine how to organize his own idiosyncratic
> bookmarks in a way more useful than ad-hoc search :-)    (06)

The whole joy of the current state of the Web, seems to me, is that
searching needn't be ad-hoc. I can search the Web for a factual or
technical question very rapidly and with a great deal of focus. A
couple of years ago I realized that it was usually quicker to find
something using Google and Wikipedia than it was to walk across my
office and take a book off a shelf. The Web has become a better memory
than my own, and I'm very happy with that. I don't use bookmarking
much simply because its slower.    (07)

Pat    (08)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (010)