Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Web shortcomings [was Re: ANN: GoodRelation

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 02:40:02 -0400
Ron,
  The cost is estimated as the cost to the country **as a whole**, not to
any individual group.  Once again, you have missed some vital points:
  (1)   No one company will necessarily recover the whole cost of
development;
  (2)   No one company building its own foundation ontology will have a
means of communicating with other companies who haven't participated in the
project.    (01)

  The efficiency of communication comes from a lot of people using it.
Devising a language for yourself and sitting in a corner talking to yourself
may be amusing, but not economically beneficial.    (02)

  In order for a communication language to serve its purpose, it has to be
used by a lot of people, and for something as complex as a foundation
ontology, the best way to guarantee that wide usage is to have a lot of
people participate in its development.    (03)

Pat    (04)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416